1. There are different types of sellers, ask the person you talk to
what kind of seller they are.
Home breeders - The birds hatch at home and are hand fed and socialized
Hand feeders - Birds are bought from breeders or wholesalers and then hand
fed and socialized.
Bird Brokers - They buy and sell birds often. They typically do not raise
Pet Owners - There are times when a pet owner has to sell their pet.
Wholesalers - Breeders or brokers looking to sell to hand feeders, bird
brokers and stores.
Pet Stores - They buy from home breeders and wholesalers.
2. Try to never buy sight unseen, ask for pictures whenever possible.
3. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't like the answers move
on. Do your homework. The more you know the better decision you
make. There are lots of resources on the web to use. Contact
local clubs for information about reputable breeders and stores. Talk to
other pet owners.
4. Ask for references if you are at all unsure. Don't rely just
on email. It's worth a phone call to talk to the seller. You can
learn a lot that way.
5. Don't be afraid to walk away from a purchase. If the bird
doesn't look right or is not what you were told, you don't have to buy.
If there is pressure to buy be wary. This is hard to do but,
sometimes it's the best thing to do.
6. Ask what type of health guarantee is available. You typically
will get 3 days and it usually requires a vet check very soon after
purchase. Be wary of no guarantees on young birds. Most reputable
breeders will stand behind their babies.
7. Don't buy young unweaned babies. Only experienced hand-feeders
should feed young birds. Some breeders will sell almost weaned birds
where the bird eats from a spoon. There are differing opinions on
this, ask questions. There is a big difference between a buyer
asking to hand-feed their potential pet vs. a breeder trying to sell
unweaned babies. There is never a guarantee on an unweaned bird.
Too many things can go wrong in hand-feeding and breeders will not extend
a guarantee due to all the variables involved.